Using ESL grammar games perfect tenses is a very good way to teach children the various grammatical aspects of the English language. It can be hard to learn a new language. English is a language that is somewhat different in terms of grammar when compared to some of the other major languages such as French and Spanish.
ESL Grammar Games Perfect Tenses
Understanding the tenses can be difficult for young children even with a native English tongue, so children that speak a foreign language are likely to have difficulties as well. While there are a number of different methods of teaching grammar, some methods are more effective than others particularly when working with children who are learning English as their second language. One of the best ways to teach children anything is through instructional games.
Types of ESL Grammar Games
Grammar is composed of different sections. Teaching a child about grammar, and particularly about tenses and if they are not familiar with English, can be done quite efficiently with a game.
There are several different types of games that you can purchase or use that will assist a child in learning about the perfect tenses. It is best that any game you choose be hands on. Children like being able to use their hands and participate in activities, so incorporating games into a subject matter such as perfect tenses allows you to make learning fun.
ESL grammar games can be found on the Internet. There are numerous websites where teachers and other educational professionals are sharing information on different games and educational materials that would be beneficial to a children's learning experience. Some of the games for perfect tenses may involve printing flash cards and having a child arrange them to fit togther into a sentence.
There are also websites that have extensive ideas for teaching English as a second language as it relates to the present tense. One website, ESL Tower, has:
- A large variety of games that can be used to teach the perfect tense.
- Activities including present tense crossword puzzles
- Board games such as Talking Football and Ever and Never
You should take advantage of the different ways to teach your children the tenses via different types of grammar games.
Interactive ESL Grammar Games
Children often love using computers. They like the combination of sounds and movement that is involved with using a computer. This is particularly the case when they are playing games on the computer. If you want to fully engage a child in the learning process you should consider searching the Internet for ESL grammar games perfect tenses.
There is a very popular website by the name of ESL Games World that has a plethora of interactive present tense games geared to those that are trying to master the perfect tense. For example:
- Snakes and Ladders - Requires that the player answer questions related to the tenses correctly in order to get a chance to roll the dice and climb up the ladder. The goal is to reach the top of the ladder in order to win the game.
- Spin the Wheel - Allows the student to select the best perfect present tense word. There are also a number of interactive computer games that can be used in your ESL classes to teach children the correct usage of the prefect tense.
Whether you are working with a child alone or teaching an entire class, children really do respond well to learning via interactive computer games.
Understanding Learning Styles for Effective Teaching
In order to effectively teach children about the perfect tenses you should take note of the learning style of the children in the classroom. Because all children learn differently, it is highly recommended that you have a variety of different methods for teaching grammar to an ESL class:
- Some children may prefer using worksheets to learn the perfect tenses
- Others may like the hands on approach of playing a board game
- Some children respond better to playing interactive Internet games
Make it a point of incorporating all of these activities in your ESL educational curriculum.