While developing a broad mastery of English vocabulary is important, it's also necessary to understand the principles of basic English grammar. Vocabulary gives you the words you need to express yourself, while grammar helps you speak and write clearly so that others can understand what you are trying to say. Fortunately, students interested in learning English as a second language have a number of online resources available to make the process of developing grammar skills much easier.
YourDictionary.com: A Grammar Tool
Although most people think of an online dictionary as a resource for helping to build your vocabulary, yourdictionary.com is a great tool for anyone interested in learning basic English grammar. In fact, the YourDictionary library has an extensive collection of English grammar articles covering topics such as What Are Basic English Grammar Rules? What Are the Fourteen Punctuation Marks in English Grammar? and Using Contractions Correctly. In the Grammar and Language Courses section, you'll also find links to a number of sites offering English grammar lessons and tutorials.
ESL English Grammar Resources
If you're interested in learning more about basic English grammar, yourdictionary.com recommends the following websites:
- EnglishClub: This site offers a variety of grammar resources for ESL learners. There are interactive grammar quizzes, as well as articles explaining the role of verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections in the English language. If you have a specific question, you can even submit an inquiry to the site's help desk.
- Using English: As a resource for ESL teachers, this site offers a number of free printable worksheets and grammar lessons. If you complete a short registration process, you'll gain access to nearly 200 additional printables. For your convenience, the site's resources are divided into lessons for beginning language learners and intermediate English students.
- Dave's ESL Cafe: In the quiz section of this site, you'll find grammar quizzes covering topics such as irregular verbs, subject-verb agreement, and the present tense.
- English Grammar Guide: Despite its plain design, this site provides a number of useful grammar lessons and quizzes for ESL learners.
- Activities for ESL Students: Striving to make learning English a more enjoyable experience, this site offers crossword puzzles, podcasts, and other fun ESL activities. The site's collection of bilingual quizzes is another useful resource for the ESL learner.
- Free English Games: Practice irregular verbs and master basic of sentence structure with these fun and free English grammar games.
- English4Kids: Although this site claims to be for young children who are learning English as a second language, many of the resources offered would be useful as supplements for adult English lessons.
ESL Resources in Your Community
If you find yourself struggling to master basic English grammar, there may be ESL classes available in your community. In fact, ESL programs are now considered to be the fastest growing component of adult education programs in the United States.
Many schools, churches, and non-profit organizations have free or reduced-price classes to help students who are interested in improving their English proficiency. Classes are often offered on nights or weekends to accommodate work schedules and childcare assistance may be available in some areas.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"How to Learn Basic English Grammar." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 17 October 2018. <http://esl.yourdictionary.com/esl-for-students/how-to-learn-basic-english-grammar.html>.
How to Learn Basic English Grammar. (n.d.). Retrieved October 17th, 2018, from http://esl.yourdictionary.com/esl-for-students/how-to-learn-basic-english-grammar.html